Solstice

I know the official end to each season has something to do with equinoxes and ancient calendars of the sun and whatnot, but here, in our little town, school starts on August 1. And that, my friends, means summer is over. I mean, technically we’ve got over a month an a half left, but that’s just semantics. For me, summer has nothing to do with the weather and everything to do with the laze factor. Homework? Ain’t nobody gotta do it. Tardy bell? Not ringing here! PTA meetings? OK, so I don’t go to those anyway. But my POINT is that things flow a little freer and have a relaxed groove that I dig. We let the kids stay up a little later. (Except for Max, because have you met 14-month olds?) We go out for ice cream more often. We go on family trips. We shower less and swim more.

But you know, even though I have felt the same old shift back to school scheduling since last week, my job change has made life a little more summery all around. I can walk over to morning assembly and hear Noah lead the school in the pledge. I can be a mystery reader. I can volunteer to drive carpool one week of the month. In short, there is breathing room there that wasn’t there before. And that, my friends, has made a world of difference. It’s like year-round summer for my brain. With a little long division thrown in.

So what is my point here? My point is that I am still, a month after the fact, reveling in how deciding to make a change toward something better for my life actually made my life better. Who knew? (OK, so a lot of people. But I was the one who had to do something about it.) And this video is kind of me showing my gratitude for all that. For all of this.

Viva la summer!

The summer that was from racher on Vimeo.

1 Darth { 08.07.13 at 9:52 am }

That was wonderful.

2 Elizabeth { 08.07.13 at 1:54 pm }

I have never met your children (or you – is that weird?) but this video still made me cry a couple of happy tears! How fun! My fav moments are those of your big guy loving on his little brother.

Also, what car are you driving there? Do those three really fit across the back seat as easily as it looks?

3 racher { 08.07.13 at 2:26 pm }

@Elizabeth—Aw, thank you! If it makes you feel any better, I cry over internet children that I haven’t met, too. Noah is the bomb dot com big bro.

We have a Honda Pilot, and it works fine, but mostly because Noah is in a seat with no booster any more. We bought the slimmest booster we could find when we first bought the car, and it fit, but he really had to work to buckle his seat belt, which was a pain for him. There’s a third row, too, but on long trips we usually put all our stuff back there, so he squeezes in the middle. I have not yet let myself drink the minivan Kool-Aid, but it would most likely be more comfortable. (I GUESS.)

4 Gramps { 08.07.13 at 3:13 pm }

Re: what you said: YAY! Re: the video, wonderful indeed, including the song (what’s the song/who’s it by?).

5 racher { 08.07.13 at 3:17 pm }

Whoops, meant to put that underneath! It’s “Ho, Hey” by The Lumineers!

6 Gramps { 08.07.13 at 3:24 pm }

You have a real gift for choosing just the right music for these videos.

7 Carol { 08.07.13 at 8:59 pm }

I’m SO glad you have time to breathe (and blog!). Welcome to a new phase of your life ; )

8 Cindy Wilson { 08.07.13 at 10:22 pm }

Rachel – I LOVE this!

Cindy Wilson
(Buz’s mom and your mom, dad, uncle, and grandparents’ friend!)

9 Elaine Eberhart & Linda Miner { 08.08.13 at 2:09 pm }

Wonderful!

10 Ali Hales { 08.13.13 at 5:46 pm }

I love your videos, Rachel. What a sweet family. I hope we can catch up soon (in a more in-depth way than serendipitously stopped in traffic together)!