Re-recovery

Well! Howdy do! I am writing to you from this house of five, where I sit upright and awake and also not bone-crushingly exhausted. Hooray! Turns out I don’t have to subscribe to AARP magazine just yet: My slow recovery has a cause. Two postpartum infections in my postpartum parts! Take that! …Whomever!

Seriously, I was going crazy trying to figure out why I felt like death left in the microwave overnight for so long after giving birth. I mean, 33 is not the youngest anyone’s ever had a baby, but I was really starting to think it was a good thing I had decided to stop after this kid because at this rate, if I’d gone for four kids, I’d have to have round-the-clock in-home care for a few months after that delivery. Things just weren’t right last week, but most pressing was the fact that I was worn slap out all day long. Like, couldn’t get off the couch, achy like I had the flu, holding on to things when I walked kind of worn out. I called the nurse line at my OB practice several times, but found them to be most unhelpful and not very sympathetic, and in fact, was reminded more than once that I was older now, you know, and every pregnancy is different, you know, etc., etc. I didn’t seem to meet their strict protocol that warranted a visit to the office. So instead, I ended up in the ER for four hours on a Saturday afternoon with my 10-day old unvaccinated baby. Hooray! Except the opposite of that.

But! Now I am bionic! Or antibiotic, same diff. And I already feel loads better, which is a huge relief. For one, I have stopped weeping out of sheer exhaustion. So, there’s that. I hope to be around this Yesterplace more often now that I’m on the mend, because there are a lot of things to yammer on about (like the birth story of Max, which is coming, hand to heart, you guys). But typing was not so much within my capabilities last week. There are just so many keys. And you have to push them. It was too much for my fragile weak-fingered (and everything else) state.

However, in closing, things are still pretty awesome around this house. Everyone who lives here is my favorite.

1 Kirsten { 05.20.12 at 10:15 pm }

How are the cloth diapers going? I love being able to get updates from this far away. Plus Sarah texts me about how cut all y’all are….

2 Aunt Rachel { 05.21.12 at 2:17 am }

Glad things are looking up Rach! I’ve missed talking to you. :)

3 Leigh Ann Laney { 05.21.12 at 7:16 am }

What the hec is up with OB offices being so unsympathetic?? I got the same reaction when I had mastitis with Sera. I felt like DEATH!! Finally after about 6 calls to the office I got to talk to the dr and I could HEAR him roll his eyes when reluctantly prescribed me an antibiotic. 24 hours later I was a new woman. So glad you are feeling better!

4 Allen { 05.21.12 at 8:11 am }

That last pic, the whispering one:……………(there are no words)

5 stink { 05.21.12 at 11:47 am }

I CONCUR WITH ALLEN! and I hope you’re feeling tons better and I love you, your kids, and that husband of yours!!!

6 racher { 05.21.12 at 1:39 pm }

Kirsten, we haven’t wo/manned up yet to do it. Mostly because we were waiting for the meconium to be done and then we had some disposables left, and then I was sick, and etc., etc., but we will soon! Swear! And I’m sure I will have things to say about it on here as well. Also, I’m digging your typo. Especially since just about nothing on me is “cut” right now. (Or Max, come to think of it.)

AR—calling you today!

LA—I don’t know, but I’m over it. Luckily, I’m also over with pregnancy. Good timing!

Allen and Stink—I would tell you what he was saying, but it would exceed the legal limit of cute. Ok, I’ll tell you anyway: he was saying “Max, you rock.” GAH.

7 Amanda { 05.21.12 at 2:14 pm }

My favorite was when I was pregnant and was feeling more tired than I should have been feeling. I’d been anemic before, and pregnancies with twins carry a higher risk of anemia. I knew what I was talking about when I called the nurse to say I felt tired, been anemic, do I need a blood test…and she said “Well honey, you’re pregnant with twins, of COURSE you’re tired!” (*&@^$*)&^%@$% I finally convinced her to let me come in for a blood test which proved (instantly) that was was WAAAAAAAY anemic and got me some prescription iron pills. TAKE THAT “of course you’re tired” nurse.

8 Rachel D { 05.21.12 at 4:02 pm }

Oh Racher! That sucks! I want to swear about how crappy that is but I’m not sure if your comments allow swears.
I’m glad you’re on the mend now and hope you get your groove back soon.

9 ginnymom { 05.21.12 at 4:59 pm }

Well, I was just plain mad.. They know better and should treat their patient-moms better. I’m still mad. Not fair to you. ….. mad. Send this post to their office. That would show them.

10 ginnymom { 05.21.12 at 4:59 pm }

I don’t mean my post. I mean your blog post.