Momentum

Don’t think I’m gonna stop the bloggin’ now, my friends! Even though tonight’s bedtime was very similar in tone to that one bed-levitating scene in The Exorcist! I will let you ponder which child played the starring role. (Hint: IT WAS ROSIE. She is freakishly strong, by the way.)

Here are some thoughts I would like to share with you.

__________________________________________________

The “Check Engine Light” – is it for real? Like, I know you’re supposed to notice it when it comes on and all, but mine came on at some point last week, and then it just went away on its own. So I figured: problem solved! I have a self-repairing car! I mean, we purchased it from my grandparents, who are quite fastidious in their car selection, so surely they sprung for some sort of feature like that? But then today it came back on. So…I should take it in then, I guess? Or maybe if I wait it out some more the light will go away and then magically come back on saying “I’M FOR REAL—CHECK THE DAMN ENGINE, YOU STUPID NIMROD”? I’m toying with the idea of waiting, just to see.

__________________________________________________

I kind of wish the weather would stick with cold instead of sort-of-chilly-and-then-broiling-in-the-afternoon, for no other reason than I want to keep having reasons to see Rosie dress herself like this:

And also, because I have Clothing-Price Tourette’s Syndrome where I physically cannot refrain from telling you how much I paid for things when I find a deal:

Owl hat (on backwards): Anthropologie, bought with gift certificate
Scarf: handmade birthday gift from a friend
Sweater: my brother’s from when he was two (AWWW)
Dress: consigned, maybe $6
Tights: consigned, $1.99
Shoes: Target $12
Ring: gift from Aunt Sarah, never removed from finger, may be causing staph infection

____________________________________________

Also, I forgot to mention here that there was a fancy interview write up on the website at my new job all about how I want you to believe I am totally great even though I’ve never been to Disneyworld or had a tan. Since you probably want to hear a whole lot more about me, seeing as how I don’t really talk about my life much on the internet, here it is for your convenience. I’ve only worked there for three and a half weeks, and already they’ve asked me for a photo of myself three times. If I had only known that was part of the job, I would have gone out and done some Glamour shots. Because everyone looks better in a feather boa and a metric ton of makeup with their head tossed back over one shoulder.

1 gmo { 11.10.10 at 9:19 am }

TAKE IT IN!!!

2 Rebekah { 11.10.10 at 9:37 am }

I once had a mechanic tell me that if the check engine light didn’t stay on for 24 hours that I shouldn’t worry about it. Granted, I was seeing him for the 3rd time in two days because my light kept coming on, but I have followed that advice since and have never ended up on the side of the road. (but I will feel bad if you end up on the side of 75, so maybe take it in?)

3 Jonathan Hickman { 11.10.10 at 10:03 am }

I keep a piece of black tape over my check engine light. Some sensor went bad and would cost $400 to fix, even though it hasn’t affected anything except the light. The mechanic told me that the car has other gauges for just about everything important (eg temp), so the tape was his idea.

I heard a commercial on tv that one of those car places will check the light for free for you so you can find out why it’s going off and then decide whether you want to deal with it or put tape over it. I don’t remember what chain it was, tho.

4 racher { 11.10.10 at 10:20 am }

I’m pretty sure it has something to do with needing an oil change. (Grandmother, don’t read this part.) We’re, um, a little bit overdue in that area.

5 Jonathan Hickman { 11.10.10 at 11:38 am }

Depending on your car, you should have a different notice for that (usually something like “maintenance required”). Or you *really* need an oil change. I did that once to the tune of about $1k. Oil changes are cheap compared to not getting one. :-/

6 Aunt Rachel { 11.10.10 at 6:03 pm }

My service light comes on for awhile at 4,800 miles after my last service and then goes away again. It goes on again at 5,000 miles and stays. The Toyota people tell me it’s just a reminder and not an emergency but not to wait too long after it goes on the 2nd time.

7 Elizabeth { 11.11.10 at 11:28 am }

The next time the Check Engine light comes on, take it to your nearest AutoZone. They have a hand-held machine that can tell you what the code is, which can then be used to decipher what’s wrong with it. The best part? They do it for free!

8 Allen { 11.11.10 at 11:55 am }

don’t forget to hold your popped collar

9 racher { 11.11.10 at 12:24 pm }

YES, Allen. I almost forgot about that tried-and-true portrait enhancer.