If you’re thinking of starting up a full-time job after a lengthy time away from the workforce, here are some tips I picked up on my first day that I will now pass on to you. You’re welcome.
– I highly recommend the liberal use of a mother-in-law back at the homestead for the first couple of days. Your kids will still get to go to the park while you’re focused on a new schedule, and when you walk in the door at five thirty, there will be Swiss steak and mashed potatoes.
– Phoning your adorable almost-two-year-old from your desk at four p.m. and hearing her say “Mama, hold you?” is an excellent way to help you sail through to the end of the day, but don’t expect the call to come without a few pangs right in the middle of your chest.
– Make sure you know how to get to your office building. Even if it was only two weeks ago that you went there for your interview and should totally and completely remember. (Seriously, Rachel.)
– Maybe don’t say OMG I LOVE THIS JOB over and over again to the people who are quietly doing their work at their desks next to you. Even if you really mean it. (I really mean it.)
– Your commute is 35-40 minutes. Have some good music ready. And for the love of god, go to the bathroom before you hit the road.