Steady as he goes

Noah has never been much of a daredevil. In fact, I would say that he would pause a bit at the word daredevil and ask for the definition if it were ever used in his presence. What does “daredevil” mean? He would want to know. Is it like the real devil? Does it live in our neighborhood? Could it get in to our house? Is it bigger than a bear? Are you sure there aren’t bears in our house?

And so on and so forth he would continue until I was able to insert a HEY IS THAT A CORVETTE DRIVING BY OUR HOUSE as a distraction.

I wouldn’t call him over the top anxious about life per se, but I would say that he is definitely a kid with a healthy dose of normal kid fears. Dogs, water, death, public performing, talking to adults he doesn’t know, etc. It can be frustrating for me at times, knowing how to help him through his fear without forcing him to do something he’s really not comfortable doing.

So yesterday when I broached the topic of removing the training wheels from his bike, I was super casual about it, like “Hey! How’s about we go to the park and PLAY! and KICK THE SOCCER BALL! and tryridingthebikewithouttrainingwheelsandalso THROW A FRISBEE?” sort of expecting a concerned look, or a determined nuh-uh, or something similar. But he just said “Okay.”

???????????????????
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(went my head)

So, continuing on the uber-cool pretense of This is So Totally No Big Deal, I said, “Alright. Let’s go then,” and proceeded to watch him bebop to the park, declare that it was Time, and then start plugging away at his first attempts at two-wheeled uprightedness. He was focused, but not scared. He fell once or twice, but he didn’t give up. And then after only about fifteen minutes, HE GOT IT. I think I truly understand now the meaning of the word verklempt. Because there he was in his jeans with the worn out knees and his brow furrowed in heavy concentration riding a bike. And he was having fun doing it. Well, hello cliched Parenting Moment! Make yourself comfortable in my throat as I wipe off this water that seems to be collecting in my eye.

It’s just that he was so great, you know?  So, so great.

As he got steadier I kept filming his progress.  At one point L got my attention from behind and gestured to Rosie, who was atop a big slide all by herself. I panned over to her to catch her first big slide solo descent on video, and in my peripheral vision I could see Noah whiz by, already a pro and gaining speed.

“They’re doing things too fast for me to keep up with!” I commented to L as I gave up and turned off the camera.

He nodded, smiling, because he knew exactly what I meant.

Paths of Victory from racher on Vimeo.

1 Gramps { 04.20.10 at 7:02 am }

Awesome.

2 Sam { 04.20.10 at 8:10 am }

Awesome! Way to go Noah and Rosie (and Mom and Dad too)!You have some big kids now!!!

3 Darth { 04.20.10 at 8:22 am }

Cars are next. Ten years from now. You are 1/3 of the way there. It is not too early to start worrying.

4 Leigh Ann { 04.20.10 at 8:46 am }

way to go noah! we just took sera’s training wheels off the other day, but she won’t venture out of the garage yet. she wants to “learn in the garage so if i fall it won’t hurt”.
she got a razor scooter for Christmas this year and about a month ago at the park finally figured out how to glide on it…fast. i got a little verklempt myself. wish i had a a video camera at the time.

5 Brie { 04.20.10 at 5:59 pm }

This (sorta) gave me a tear! Thank you, Noah, for brightening up my gloomy Tuesday with your determination and bright green Crocs. You rock!

6 Laura { 04.21.10 at 10:54 am }

OK. You need to know. YOU’VE STILL GOT IT!! The ability to make me cry. TEARS STREAMING DOWN MY CHUBBY CHEEKS, CRY! I caught up with Yestertime today. (please hold while i go get ANOTHER tissue) 1.) When I watched the video of Noah, him finally taking off alone, and your ecstatic exclamations cheering him on. 2.) When I read Derailed by Junk Mail and thought of all the potential and smarts you have, and are using to their greatest extent right where you should be for this time in your life. 3.) When I read the beautiful comments on said blog entry by beautiful friends and thought about how awesome you are, proven by the wonderful people attracted to you. 4.) While writing this. 5.) Standing in the Kroger with your Mom (your mom’s a preacher?!), talking about her Columnist daughter with Ruckus Magazine…

I won’t continue with all the times my joy in your beauty and wisdom made me cry during my formative years, but I wanted to let you know how very thankful I am that you, as a woman and a mom, with enhanced beauty and wisdom, can still make me a blubbering idiot!

7 Patrick { 04.23.10 at 1:55 pm }

Sweet–you know in a testosterone-laden way. I did not cry. Seriously. No tears. It was cool. YOU DON’T HAVE WITNESSES. Because nothing happened. I was cutting an onion. Seriously. I need a bagel.

8 Samantha { 04.24.10 at 10:50 am }

First of all, please promise me that when I have kids someday, you will come and make home movies with us and edit them into these little gems you keep posting.

Second of all, I think my favorite part of the whole video (besides Noah riding like the wind, Bullseye!) was you yelling “Now brake!” You are awesome.