That last category may not apply to you

As I mentioned the other day, my iPod tunes rank right up there with air and feet when it comes to Things That I Must Have In Order To Run.  I’m starting to think that it’s my true key to success in this whole mind block I’ve always had about pounding the pavement for more than, oh, half a block or so.  In fact, if iPods had been invented when I was in high school, maybe I wouldn’t now carry the shame of missing passing the physical fitness test by only one category every single year.  (DAMN YOU, YOU DASTARDLY MILE RUN.)

I also can’t emphasize how much I appreciate L’s efforts to rid my iPod of his unique choices for running music (OMG) and to fill it instead with stuff I can get my jog on to.  And I wanted to share with you some of my favorites so far.

You should check these songs out even if you aren’t a runner, because you never know when you might need a good tune to help you complete a task.  Like doing your taxes.  Or flossing.  And so:

Great starting out songs:

LDN (Lily Allen)
Beautiful Day (U2)

Cruising along songs (“Cruising” while running only happens for about 30 seconds for me right now, but these songs are totally awesome for that 30 seconds.):

Crazy (Gnarls Barkley)
Rainy Day (Coldplay)

Songs that will push you through a hard spot (Like the end of your run when you are pretty sure your shoes are made of ANVILS):

Gotta Get Thru This (Daniel Bedingfield)
Lose Yourself
(Eminem)*

*after the first slow part, which sucks.

Songs that are nice to have on when you have to pass a leering 5-man lawn crew and their exhaust spewing blowers and mowers THREE TIMES on a loop that contains the biggest hill God ever made:

Hollaback Girl (Gwen Stefani)

Hit me up any time with more suggestions of your own.

1 David { 03.02.09 at 7:52 am }

For some reason, no matter how hard I try, I just can’t picture you listening to “Lose Yourself”.

2 Allen { 03.02.09 at 10:51 am }

‘Run Around Sue’ has always been the perfect pace-setter for me, lemme know if you try it

3 Trenches of Mommyhood { 03.02.09 at 12:06 pm }

“Footloose” – seriously. It has a perfect beat to run to. And who doesn’t love the 80’s??

4 Jo(s)e(ph) { 03.03.09 at 3:47 am }

I discovered in jogging class (yes L, Jogging Class) that the tempos of Guster songs feel a lot slower when you run to them, which was surprising. Also, some of John Legend’s stuff is good for running.

5 racher { 03.03.09 at 7:19 am }

Very much agreed, J(o)s(e)p(h). Guster was much skipped over on the previous iPod. Although “Captain” is pretty good, and sort of a boppy, cruising kind of song.
John Legend would be fun to try. GOSH I WISH I KNEW SOMEONE WHO HAD SOME OF HIS MUSIC THAT I COULD BORROW.

6 Nicole A. { 03.03.09 at 9:14 am }

Wooo! You can do it! I wouldn’t be a runner if it weren’t for my ‘Move it!’ playlist. These are my favs:

Blue Orchid – the White Stripes
Clark Gable – the Postal Service
Harder to Breathe – Maroon 5 [yes, despite the title]
the Distance – Cake
Fake Plaindromes – Andrew Bird
Shut Up and Let me Go – the Ting Tings

7 candace { 03.03.09 at 2:43 pm }

So, these songs have only been tested by long walks, but most would probably be good for starting songs at least…
“Gallery Piece” by Of Montreal
“Powerman” (substitute power woman in your head?) by The Kinks
“Workout Plan” by Kanye West
“B.O.B.” by Outkast
“Pump it” by Black Eyed Peas
“Sexy Back” by Justin Timberlake
“Come In” by Regina Spektor
If only my laptop’s cd burner worked…

8 Dorothy { 03.03.09 at 5:36 pm }

I went for a walk today (still have a strict policy against running when not being chased), and had to use Russ’ ipod. I had to skip passed the way too many johnny cash songs, but I did find Beyonce’s Survivor a good motivator. Although I did spend most of the time wondering why he had that song on his ipod.

9 racher { 03.03.09 at 8:35 pm }

Dude, he’s in med school. Doesn’t matter who’s singing it, he needs him some Survivor songs!

10 gossamer { 03.03.09 at 9:52 pm }

Gosh. I meant to send you some music. I had totally forgotten about this. But after seeing what you’re listening to, I don’t know if i have anything you’d like….maybe I should get Andy to chase me and I can see what music is helpful. (we live in the bottom of a L.O.N.G. hill)
Would you want “Extreme Ways” by Moby? You could pretend to be Jason Bourne! I think I would like soundtrack stuff to run to. I could also send you “You” by Schiller/Colbie – that’s pretend- you’re-in-a-movie stuff! Do you like Jason Mraz? Or maybe I should stick to country since you are no longer in SC….Give me feedback – that can be a cool project for me! Also, did you get my message on FB?