Let’s face it: I’m doing it for the t-shirt

In an effort to shake things up yesterday after Saturday’s jaunt into the delightful wonderland called 30-Day Shred Level Two: DEATH, I decided to take advantage of the beautiful day and go on a walk with Rosie and the iPod.

And holy bananas: the weather was fantastic, the tunes were awesome (thanks to you guys and this really nice dude who lives in my house who compiled them for me) and the whole way Rosie grinned up at me through a river of shiny drool.

It was glorious.

And I felt…well…I felt great.  Strong, even.  It’s amazing what a good song can do for a push up a steep hill.  For one thing, it masks my horrifying gaspy breath sounds, (which I like to pretend no one else can hear either) and for another, it never fails to make me feel like I am in a sweeping epic about a down-on-her-luck girl who overcame all the staggering odds to compete in the National Stroller Pushlympics, and as I crest that incline with the music swelling, I look around to see if anyone else saw how awesome I was.  Um, walking up that hill.

But WHATEVER.  It pumps me up, and I LIKE IT.

So I’m just going to come out and say it, even though it kind of makes me want to puke just thinking about it: I’m going to try a 5K at the end of March.

I cannot BELIEVE I just wrote that.  Because now I have to do it.  And really, that’s kind of the point: I need some accountability, right?  So hey!  How about being accountable to the whole Internet?  What can I say, I like to do things 100%.  Unless I feel like half-assing, which occurs pretty frequently as well.

SO.  Support is needed, encouragement welcome, and you can bet your sweet jellybeans that by the time I cross the finish line of that sucker I will have already picked out the soundtrack that will accompany the video montage of my athletic achievement in all its glory.

Unless my hair looks like crap.  Then we’ll see.

1 Rebekah { 02.09.09 at 8:00 am }

The t-shirt is totally worth it, because you get to remember how cool you are every time you wear it. Maybe baby and I will come and cheer–unless it makes me feel like a flabby slug . . . or my hair looks like crap.

2 Amanda { 02.09.09 at 10:41 am }

YAY 5K!! It’ll be great! And the t-shirt is definitely the prize – then you can tell people how amazing you are when you wear it and they ask about it.

3 Jo(s)e(ph) { 02.09.09 at 1:19 pm }

I’m pretty sure there’s one in Lullwater Park on March 19th, if that’s close enough to “the end of March” for ya.

4 Shayleen { 02.09.09 at 1:32 pm }

Hey girl,
You can totally do this!!! I am training for a 1/2 marathon in April and it is easier than I thought. Start small and add a little bit at a time. I am running about 17 -20 miles a week right now, and a few months ago I was only about 3-6 miles a week. I am excited for you!

5 racher { 02.09.09 at 2:12 pm }

Broseph – March 19 is a Thursday…is that right??

I actually have a race in mind already that is the 21st.

6 Ali R { 02.09.09 at 2:42 pm }

Yeah Rachel! Road races are so much fun. I’ll be thinking of you! Give me a call if you need any training tips. :)

7 Rachel W { 02.09.09 at 4:17 pm }

I did a 5k a couple of weeks ago. I went fully intending to walk the whole thing (which a lot of people were doing actually), but once out of the gate, I found that it was pretty easy to run. You just get caught up with all the other people (some 60, some 6) who are running the whole thing. In all, I ran about 2 miles of it with no problem. It was a BLAST and I’m already signed up to do the Gasparilla 5k in 2 weeks. :)

**My point is: if I can do it, you sure as heck can. :)

8 Jillian { 02.09.09 at 7:46 pm }

Good luck, Rachel. I hate running, but do it (minimally) to stay in shape. Or, I *used* to do it to stay in shape. I also used to do yoga. *sigh*

Keep us updated on the training! We’ll all be rooting for you!!!

9 racher { 02.09.09 at 9:08 pm }

You guys are awesome, BTW. Angel wings ALL AROUND.

10 Carrie Nalisnick { 02.10.09 at 7:49 am }

Just wanted you to know that you have inspired several of the med school girls to take on The Shred. You should ask Jillian Michaels for an advertising fee..

11 racher { 02.10.09 at 3:07 pm }

I had a Facebook friend tell me the same thing today, and I am STOKED about that! You go girls! It totally motivates me that we’re all in this together!
(Also, when you guys reach Level Two, let me know, because I need some accomplices with me when I go egg Jillian Michael’s house.)