Pshedding the pseudonyms

Recently on Momversation, the topic of censoring your blog came up.  It was really interesting for me to watch, because I never really thought much about how I do or do not censor myself here.

Actually, that’s a total lie.  There are definitely things I deliberately do not write about.  I don’t talk much about my job, I don’t reveal stories about close friends very often, and I rarely talk about my family outside of Lorso, Bug and LG (except for my grandmother, who is clearly my favorite family member. FYI, EVERYONE ELSE.)

Which brings me to my point…Lorso, Bug and LG.

I am really tired of using those names.

I started out doing the pseudonym thing because Lorso requested it for himself, and I respected his wishes.  After all, he did not ask for his wife to start a daily blog that would enlighten everyone to the inanity that is our life.  I do try to make sure that he is cool with a post if I know it is mostly about him – something I figured out to do all on my own even though it was not covered in pre-marital counseling.  (Although someone will surely write THAT book soon: “What To Do When Someone You Love Starts A Personal Blog and Writes About Your Shit All Up On the Interwebs”)  And so he became Lorso, our son became Bug, and our second child had an internet code name before being assigned a name in real life.

It’s this last piece of the hidden names game that started to get to me.  I requested suggestions for our new family member’s blog name and couldn’t decide on any of them and so half-heartedly decided to call her Little Girl, or LG.  And it’s never worked for me somehow and now I think I know why.

Because I love her REAL name.  It is just right, just what she should be called, and I say it hundreds of times a day just to hear the sound of it in the air.  It fits her and her personality.

“LG” does not.

I do not have any fancy-pants trackers on my blog (although I would totally dig some of that action – hit me up if you know something I could add to see more statilicious statistics on my blog readers) but I am fairly certain that the vast majority of people who visit here have either met me in real life or know someone who has.  Or one of my post titles comes up occasionally on their BlogHer Ads links. Or they’ve met my dad. (OMG.) I could be straight up wrong about this – maybe news of Yestertime is being preached to the far regions of the Web and some of you have me on your Google Reader for the sheer lone fact that you think I am Totally Cool and what can I say, I cannot fault you for that.

My point is – most of you already know our names. And as this blog has evolved for me I have felt it change and morph until now it is a part of my life that has real meaning.  I enjoy it and use it in ways I didn’t know I would.  I would like to see what else I can do with it.  But I don’t think I can bounce off that springboard with the clank of false names ringing in my ears.

And so I am cutting them loose.

To honor my agreement with Lorso, he will remain moderately pseudonymed, but will now be called “L”.

But I’d like to (re)introduce you to…Noah:

NOAH

And this is Rosalie:
ROSIE

But you can call her Rosie.

And typing those combination of letters for all of you to see?

Feels like a million bucks.

Noah! Rosie!

Hooray!

(And now can I get a moment of silence for those false but solidly performing monikers…Bug and LG.  R.I.P. noms de plume. Nom de plumes. Noms de plumes. Whatever.)

1 ginny { 01.28.09 at 7:24 am }

down tampa way we like all the names because we like all the people.

2 Elizabeth { 01.28.09 at 8:13 am }

I’ve always loved their names, so I’m glad you’re going to use their real names now!

For website stats, check out sitemeter.com. You can track location, IP address, time spent on website, and the website they went to before coming to your blog (ie, how they found your blog). It’s excellent.

3 Leeann { 01.28.09 at 9:33 am }

Rach- Please move to CT asap so we can be BFFs forever and ever (and I’ll let you use my kids real names when you write up amusing anecdotes about all our adventures together, kay?) Just leave Jillian Michaels behind.

I am here because I know you AND because you’re internetfamous.

4 Jillian { 01.28.09 at 9:51 am }

I don’t know you or any of your family IRL, but I’m happy to know the kids’ true names. They suit them well.

And I don’t think it’s ‘nom de plumes’… I think it’s ‘Nom, nom, nom.’ Fitting, don’t you think?

5 stephanie { 01.28.09 at 11:00 am }

yay! congratulations. i bet it feels liberating!
i started my blog using our real names, thought twice about it and posted a few times using a pseudonym for david (he requested i stop that immediately and go back to using his real name), and so this is where i am and will stay. furry daughter and husband and future skin babies- only real names. but no last name…just in case.

p.s. sorry to miss seeing you on saturday!

6 Patrick { 01.28.09 at 2:04 pm }

Thank goodness, I was afraid I would see Rosie in February and be like, “What up LG?!” Now the pressure is off. The whole fam should be in Decatur on Feb 27-28. Hope to see you then.

7 Leigh Ann { 01.28.09 at 2:05 pm }

thank God! you don’t know how many times i have typed “noah” instead of “bug” in a comment! it became like an obsessive/compulsive thing for me. i would reread my comment like ten times before i hit summit. yay for NOAH and ROSIE! seriously, a wait has been lifted. i love their names!

8 racher { 01.28.09 at 2:23 pm }

Elizabeth, I just signed up for sitemeter last night. Now we’ll see if I can figure out how to get it to actually track my blog…

Leeann, I am totally willing to be your BFF, but HolyCow not in that cold-ass state of yours. YOU should move down HERE where “parkas” and “snow shovels” are mythical creatures.

Jillian – I’m glad you’re a reader! And thanks about the names, they DO fit them well, don’t they?

Stephanie – hope you’re feeling better!

Patrick and Leigh Ann – you’re coming here! Hooray! And also, you should know (a day late and dollar short) that I can edit comments on my blog. And I have changed “Noah” to “Bug” more times that I can count. Don’t have to do it anymore though!

9 Julie @ the calm before the stork { 01.28.09 at 3:49 pm }

moms de plume! I love this post. I luuuuuuh huh huuuuve your kids’ names and totally felt your joy at typing them, especially Rosalie!

I’ve been pseydonymless from the get-go and I’ve often wondered if I’d done the wrong thing, but there seemed no way to go back. I even blogged my pregnancy on parenting.com and put Jonah’s real name on his birth announcement, with a photo (gasp!).

I’m not for or against them for other people. But I do just flat-out like it when bloggers use real names. Except for one, whose pseudonyms are so unique and perfect for her kids, they’re more like affectionate nicknames.

Jonah would have been Bug also, or Boo, or somesuch. But he’s just Jonah. Even my husband’s name is real (poor guy). My MIL worries that someone might read about my kid and decide to try to kidnap him. But I hope that doesn’t happen. I think they’d probably try for Leta Armstrong first.

I am one of those people who sees your post title in my blogher ad and pops on over to see what’s up. It’s really the only internet surfing I do. I’m a terrible blog follower. So, yay for being in my BH ad circle?

I use wordpress’ stats feature (I think it was a plugin I downloaded?) to get a sort of snapshot of my readership. I have statcounter, but I think it’s too much work to go through all that info.

10 alianora { 01.28.09 at 8:04 pm }

YAY REAL NAMES! ..obviously, Im sticking with my fake one, but hi, internet, my name is Allison..

I have been meaning to email you to find out LG’s real name, but now I know it! Rosalie! She looks like a Rosie. Too cute!

11 gossamer { 01.28.09 at 10:12 pm }

wow….a lot of people out of the closet….EXPOSED! :)
For the record, I get it, but…..
I have to admit that I totally loved your Blog characters – I got really attached to “bug”, “the Lorso”, and even “LG” although I thought this would be altered or changed once she quit using your belly button as source of nutrients.
But…I get it and I’m happy for your newfound freedom.
I can’t believe my mother named me gossamer, I mean, wish I could shake that one!

12 Josh Frank { 01.28.09 at 11:11 pm }

I’m Jillian’s husband, and I like that you are now using real names in 2/3 of the instances! For some reason when I see Noah next to that picture, it seems to fit…and I haven’t even been anything more than a very, very occasional reader!

I also agree with Elizabeth – check out sitemeter.com. Their free statistics/tracking service is pretty sweet and fairly easy to use with WordPress.

13 Tayd { 01.29.09 at 12:18 am }

So, so happy to know LG’s name! (I’ll even forgive you for never choosing any of my nickname suggestions for her.) My heart was literally beating faster as I was rushing to the end of your post (hoping, hoping you weren’t going to wait and reveal it in a future post or something). I stumbled across Noah’s name in one of your videos and it made me gasp, because his antics often remind me of my own son, and my little bug’s name is Noah, too. So I was especially eager to hear little Rosie’s name, to see if it would match up with my little girl’s. It doesn’t (though half of the letters match up), but I love Rosalie’s name. And it suits her perfectly. And I am so glad to finally KNOW!

14 racher { 01.29.09 at 3:29 pm }

Whoa dudes – sitemeter. As if I wasn’t already online way too much. Love it.

Thanks for the comments!

15 Ashley { 01.29.09 at 6:47 pm }

I imagine God must have a had a similar internal dialogue when deciding to let Moses see the goods.

But God elected to continue to use internet code and so for the rest of the blog, God was known as “I am.”

16 Carol { 01.29.09 at 8:45 pm }

Thank you for trusting us loyal readers.

17 Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah { 01.30.09 at 10:17 am }

Feels good doesn’t it?

18 Megan {Velveteen Mind} { 01.30.09 at 5:53 pm }

Aaaaah. Sweet freedom! I envy you. I’ve changed my kids pseudonyms once already because I didn’t like them. This time around, I tried closer to their real names, but still.

Enjoy the writing room to stretch your legs! Pseudonyms are so restrictive. Ack.