Coming clean

Right, so here’s the thing: I’m not the biggest fan of the pseudonym Ladybug for our baby girl.

I think ladybugs themselves are the epitome of cuteness, especially in the bug world. (Though let’s be honest – it doesn’t take a whole lot of effort to be considered the most adorable insect there is. Bugs are just creepy and crawly and generally not picked for Homecoming Queen, am I right?) (Also, I fully realize I have named my son Bug on this website, but I think I took about .5 seconds to choose it off the top of my head, and hadn’t anticipated the COMPLETE AND UTTER BLOWOUT SUCCESS of my blog and if I had know that millions would know him as such, I may have reconsidered the nickname.) But I don’t have a particular fondness for ladybugs per se, and also I am kind of afraid that everyone who knows me in real life is now going to buy Ladybugged paraphernalia for her room/body. (Dear my Grandmother who I know already bought a ladybug book – I think that that is a totally acceptable and great present and hope I don’t appear an ungrateful schmuck. Love, Rachel)

Also, I would like to wax feminist for a sec and just say, isn’t that kind of like WOman being named from man? I’m just saying.

This girl needs a blog name that is just for her.

Now, when it came to her real name, I was funny about people suggesting names for our kid, because I felt like even if I loved the name I didn’t want someone else to have picked it. I wanted to be able to say that the Lorso and I named our own kids with our very own noggins. And so we did! Hooray!

But Internets, y’all can totally suggest me some blog nicknames.

Of course, I can’t guarantee that I will like anything you suggest, because I am a picky and fickle person (fickly?) – yes, even about things even as trite as a blog nickname, SO LAY OFF ALREADY.

But if I do decide to choose your suggestion, you’ll get to go down in Yestertime history! Which is a long and noble history known by tens! Think of the notoriety! You can put it on your C.V.!

So let the “Give My Baby Girl a Blog Pseudonym Contest” begin. And once we have a winner we’ll smash a bottle of champagne on our laptop before its maiden post.

1 Gramps { 06.26.08 at 4:12 pm }

Well, I searched back and found your March 14 post (the one where you spilled the beans on the pregnancy and the one that set a record for most comments) because I remembered that my good friend and fellow grandfather Darth speculated in his comment on what the internet name for the new kid would be. Bird? Beetle? Ladybug if it’s a girl, etc. I would say Bird, because I like alliteration, etc., but the one problem with that is that birds eat bugs. So, sticking with the alliterative goal, I vote for Beetle.

2 Gramps { 06.26.08 at 4:38 pm }

By the way, should you choose this wonderful suggestion (Beetle), I will gladly share the “going-down-in-Yestertime-history” kudos with Darth. I’ve been trying to come up with other B names–Beauty? (sexist, perhaps) Babe? (ditto)–I’m stumped. But I’m sure all will agree that the name should begin with B!

3 Bebe { 06.26.08 at 6:15 pm }

how about cricket? or scout? Just some names we came up with at the dinner table tonight.

4 Darth { 06.26.08 at 8:21 pm }

Well I’m thinking. Bird is not bad. I’m not too fond of beetle – as in Beetle Bailey (yuck). Meanwhile . . .

“Bug” may have been a spur-of-the-moment choice but is fits Bug’s personality quite well. I’m thinking that it is dangerous to choose any nickname for a child before having a chance to see her in action. This doesn’t take all that long. Our own children established personalities that were pretty clear in a matter of weeks after their birth!

But I know you can’t wait months to choose some way of referring to your daughter in the blog. I suggest a “temporary” name, subject to modification a short time (say a few weeks) after her birth. This puts less pressure on the present choice, and gives you the chance to “fit” a name to a personality.

The de facto temporary nickname is Ladybug. It might be that you would be able to tolerate this until your daughter’s personality makes your choice obvious. The danger is that blog readers might cling to this, since it is already pretty well established in our minds and might be hard to shake.

Or: the temporary nickname could be different, but generic – to indicate clearly that a true name is coming. Something like (for example) “B.G.” (for Baby Girl) or “Autumn” (for arrival season), or “Sunny” (because this girl will be brilliant) or . . .

Clearly I am over-analyzing this. I do like Bird.

5 G Mo { 06.26.08 at 8:33 pm }

Cricket is cute and I like Bird but my vote goes for Butterfly.

6 racher { 06.26.08 at 8:34 pm }

ALL THESE PEOPLE ARE RELATED TO ME. HELP A GIRL OUT, INTERNET.

7 Melinda { 06.26.08 at 9:20 pm }

How about Daisy? Cute, but not overly so? Or maybe Calla or Blossom? Or there’s Lily. I feel like maybe your little girl could be a flower to set her apart from Bug?

8 Lynn P. { 06.27.08 at 8:12 am }

My favorite little female student of all time-okay, I’ll be honest, my favorite student of all time-is Angelia, referred to by her family as Angel. If angels can be hilarious, she is. She deserves a namesake, even if temporary.

9 Bebe { 06.27.08 at 1:45 pm }

Doodlebug?

10 Rachel D { 06.27.08 at 2:33 pm }

This is hard, and I think it is hard because the nickname could pretty much be anything. So it is hard to think of stuff – I am looking around and going – counter…table…coffee…glass fruit…Ooh! Glass fruit!
Maybe it could be a riff off of her real name? Like if it started with a G she could be Geegee or if it was Charlotte she could be Spider, except that is kind of creepy. But it would kind of be on you and Lorso to come up with it in that case. :)
I am with you on the whole not just making it a version of Bug’s name thing. So out of thin air, here are two suggestions: Blue and Lou-lou. Ooh, or Rory!

11 Tayd { 06.28.08 at 9:23 pm }

Of the aforementioned, I kinda like Cricket. But Daisy’s growing on me, too. (By the way, I’m not related to you [in case you weren’t aware]; just trying to help respond for the general internet, and answer your urgent plea.)

I’m definitely against the Ladybug option. And though they are one of the cuter bugs around, I did have an infestation of them in a college dorm room, so they have since become considerably less endearing to me.

What about a wacky name that you were considering naming her, but were unable to persuade your husband to concur with you on? You know, one that makes everyone around you snicker or roll their eyes? My husband wanted to name our son Mordecai or Vidmar (yes, seriously). I wanted to name my daughter any number of Japanese or Swahili names (no one in either of families can boast of any heritage anywhere close to either of those). At least you could hold onto your own freaky choices in the blogosphere.

And if you don’t like any of those, you could call her Warbucksetta.

12 Tayd { 06.28.08 at 10:54 pm }

Um, okay, I really should have better things to do on a Saturday night, but your request was so pressing, I really thought I had better devote some more time to it.

I like Splendora McGillicuddy. But that could get long to type.

A proliferation of other nicknames: Peanut, Sweet Pea, Cupcake, Duck, Bean, Monkey, Sunshine, Pumpkin, Munchkin, Bugaboo (could be pronounced Boo-ga-boo, if you don’t prefer the Bug similarity, or you could do Bugaloo), Squirt, Buttercup, Button, Doll, Dumpling, Half Pint (do you like Little House . . . ?), Muffin, Petal, Goldilocks (you might have to wait and see on that one), Sugar (I’m not really editing here), Star, Doodlebug, Noodle, JoJo, Gus, and Miel (Honey in French).

I think I can now go to sleep, feeling that I’ve at least attempted to do my part. I hope you choose soon, ’cause the suspense is palpable!

13 Anjie { 06.29.08 at 11:13 am }

Wow! Tayd offered a lot of possibilities! Didn’t Bug come from a nickname you sometimes called him? Following in that train of thought, I sometimes call kids Goose–like, you are a silly goose. But, I don’t think that’s the best name. I still like Boo (rockin’ a bit ghetto) and I like Sweet Pea, though that takes longer to type. I also support the idea that a temporary nickname…like Boo, for example :)…could be good until you figure out a nickname you sometimes call her. I imagine those nicknames will be slightly different for a little girl than they were for Bug. Also, do you use any nicknames at the PMO for kids that you like and could use?

14 Allen { 06.29.08 at 8:34 pm }

my dad always called me yoda when I was a baby…..ears that (still) stick out accompanied by the slightest wisp of hair…

15 Mama Linda { 06.30.08 at 11:22 am }

My folks called all of us “Bunny” before we were born (back in the dark ages before ultrasound) because we would thump and kick in there! (We still call our youngest sister Bunny cos the rest of us kids picked it up from them but never let it go they way they hoped… but hopefully your baby dumpling won’t call her brother Bug when they grow up) Bug and Bunny sound good together too…….

16 Lane { 06.30.08 at 10:28 pm }

How about Flower?

17 Kate { 07.01.08 at 7:20 pm }

I was going to suggest “bear” until I read today’s post. Bug and bear are cute together, but distinct enough from one another. But I don’t want bug to be scared of his sister.

So now I think my first choice is “mommy chicken”–it rolls right off the tongue.