Ladybug

So, I’m having a girl.

SHE is moving around a lot now. We bought a couple of things for HER. Bug is excited about his SISTER.

I’m practicing.

I kind of have to practice, because it still feels weird to call HER a HER. I discovered on Wednesday at the ultrasound appointment that I had been thinking about this baby as a boy since the minute the pee hit the stick. Mind you, I never had a feeling or a hunch that it actually WAS a boy, but in my mind and my future, I saw a boy. I guess I just know that kind of pregnancy and that kind of baby.

But SHE’s a GIRL.

I kind of don’t know what to do with that info.

She’s healthy, and we’re so glad SHE’s coming, but I still pause before every pronoun that references…HER. I’m just not used to it yet.

I went to Target right after the ultrasound appointment to buy something for a little girl, thinking that that would make it seem real, and therefore make more sense, but WOW was that not a good idea. I felt like I was going to break out in hives. Dresses, skirts, capris, sweater sets, shorts, pants, tights, PINK, PINK, PINK – I didn’t know where to look or what she would need or where to start. It was a tiny wee bit overwhelming.

So I bought a crib skirt. Which we already have.

I do think that it will get easier, and I also think I will be better at the girl outfitting than I fear at this point, but the HER info is still kind of fresh and requires a little processing. So I’m going to do some of that first, and then get back to the pinky- pink-dressy-skirty-(OMG hairbows I forgot about those) of it all.

Bug said to me at one point while we were standing amidst the fuschiosity of that little girls section – “Mom, the baby is gonna wear pink, just like your favorite color is pink!” And I remembered that he had been saying all along that he thought the baby was a girl. When I would ask him why, he’d just say, “Because of you.” I can’t imagine what he could have said that would have made me feel better than that.

So I’m getting ready for HER and focusing on the GIRL sections of the baby name books now and picturing our lives later on this year: Me, Lorso, Bug, and our GIRL.

Our girl.

1 Darth { 06.06.08 at 5:15 pm }

Ladybug MIGHT just be the first child ever in the universe to have a blog-name before having a “real” name!

2 Dorothy { 06.06.08 at 6:31 pm }

This reminds me of the day that we found out we were having a girl – Russ was in UTTER shock – didn’t know what to do with a girl, so to make it more real and less scary, we went on a hunt for a pink soccer ball – we had to hit 5 stores before finding the right one. But then it was ok.

3 ginny { 06.06.08 at 10:05 pm }

Two things: We had our girl before people knew ahead of time. Still I had been sure this was going to be a girl. I worried about how I would react if they put a boy in my arms because I had so strongly felt this child to be a girl…. And I remember when they put our Rachel in her dad’s arms: the look on his face…. wow. It was different. It was special. I still remember.

4 Gramps { 06.07.08 at 1:14 pm }

Girls are special–we LIKE girls in our family and in yours/ours!

5 Leigh Ann { 06.08.08 at 10:30 am }

yeah girl! don’t worry, you might have felt overwhelmed by the 50 million different shades of pink (not to mention the 50 million different styles of baby dresses), but when i found out i was having a boy i felt completely UNDERwhelmed by the boring choices of boy clothes. i still miss buying cute girl clothes, but i’m pretty sure he is worth the boring clothes…yeah, i think i’ll keep him! ๐Ÿ˜‰ all though sera did ask me if we could “take him back and trade him for a better baby”. she was kidding…i hope. ๐Ÿ˜‰

6 Allen { 06.08.08 at 9:55 pm }

I hope you settle on a super girly name like Allen, maybe that’ll help you get your fix!

7 Nichole { 06.09.08 at 9:35 am }

Congratulations! Girls are just peachy. Despite my best efforts, though, mine seems to have an innate love of pink. Her closet is like a Pepto ad.

8 Rachel D { 06.09.08 at 3:13 pm }

Congratulations! I’m very excited for you!! When cooing over my friend Julie’s daughter I always found myself saying ‘She’s so beautiful’ but then we would remember to add ‘and smart!’…’and good at science!’. I already know your daughter will be all of those things.
p.s. May I suggest naming her Rachel? Useful for sucking up to a maximum number of friends and relatives, as well as that Lorelai Gilmore mystique.