We’re gonna turn it on. We’re gonna bring you the power!

My parents gave Bug a collection of episodes of The Electric Company for Christmas, which he is slowly becoming acquainted with. And I tell you, they just don’t make shows like that anymore. I mean, it’s got Morgan Freeman! And Bill Cosby! And Rita Moreno! And crazy special effects! And awesome clothes! And the Silent E song! I highly recommend that you type the title into a search on YouTube and watch 3 or 4 of their sketches. You won’t regret it. Hey, and you just might learn something. I’m pretty sure the Electric Company was responsible for a good portion of my reading skills. I KNOW it is responsible for making my dad yell “Hey you guyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys!” for my entire childhood life. Regardless of that fact, I have fond memories of it. I used to watch it after school, happily licking my daily spoonful of peanut butter. I was a weird kid.

1 jihyunoh { 01.23.08 at 4:16 pm }

I remember the Electric Company. Loved it. I think I might have learned some sign language watching it, too – “kids are people, too” or something like that.

2 Joe T. { 01.23.08 at 5:00 pm }

I’m not “pretty sure” it’s responsible for a good portion of your (early) reading skills; I KNOW it was. I was there.

3 Joe T. { 01.23.08 at 5:03 pm }

Oh, and another thing, speaking of all the talent on the show: this “silent e” song, along with the “ly” song, was done by Tom Lehrer, only the premier musical/political satirist of the 1960s. It was and still is a great show.

4 racher { 01.23.08 at 6:03 pm }

Thank you for that factual tidbit, Dad. Tom Lehrer was also responsible for this little ditty, which is close to my science-lovin’ heart:

5 Andy { 01.23.08 at 10:38 pm }

And The Electric Co has Spider-Man! Always a fav :-)

6 Bean { 01.24.08 at 11:41 am }

Ahhh, EZ reader… Is there anything that Morgan Freeman doesn’t make better?

I do have to admit though that my fondest memories of shows like that come primarily from “Pinwheel” though (Nickelodeon, in the mornings.) Plus and Minus were awesome!

(If no one but me knows who that is, that’s goign to be really weird. Even for me.)

7 Joe T. { 01.25.08 at 12:23 pm }

Oh, and one more thing–if you want to cite evidence that you were a “weird kid” (which I don’t necessarily agree with) from your childhood food preferences, I think the better evidence would be the dill pickles and milk snack that you and your sister loved.

8 racher { 01.25.08 at 2:52 pm }

Great, thanks Dad.

9 Allen { 01.26.08 at 2:19 pm }

Yesterday my sister was worrying about how to help Aliyah understand the silent e concept. So thank you for making me look really good.

10 allison { 01.28.08 at 8:24 pm }

No worries, Bean, I LOVED Pinwheel.

You can actually find the main theme on youtube.